Mindfulness of Art and Movement
with Chrissy Sie-Merritt
In this workshop, artist and yoga instructor, Chrissy Sie-Merritt will guide students through an informative yoga session using both traditional yoga postures and intuitive movements to connect our body/mind relationship with a free flowing art experience.
Chrissy Sie-Merritt has developed her own intuitive, abstract artistic style that has been used in many workshops for all ages as a tool to move our thinking process, primarily from the head, to moving it into our bodies. This process helps to relieve stress, explore our creative thinking and discover ourselves in an organic, fluid way. Using this technique, students are able to move from thinking outside of themselves and the world around them to discovering the vast beauty of the world within.
During the workshop there is an opportunity to collaborate with other students in a connected movement practice. This practice prepares the students to create art work together that comes from a more intuitive, mindful and connected experience. The focus is more on having fun making marks together and letting those marks guide the imagination. The students are then encouraged to work together to fill the spaces between the lines with colour to create a uniformed piece. This form often presents like a mandala, connecting the student’s personal experience into one large beautiful collaborative art piece. If time allows students are encouraged to create a personal intuitive piece with the same process of fluid movement.
The entire workshop is designed to be a calming, fun and meditative experience. The combination of art and movement offers insight to each students personal inner tool box that already lies within, empowering them to use mindfulness, compassion and their intuition in everyday life.
Elements of the workshop include:
- exploring our brain / right/left brain actions
- breath as a tool to calm and centre
- feeling grounded in your body
- how the body holds/carries our thoughts
- fluid movement to relax the mind
- listening, watching and honouring others
- emotion in line and colour
- Large Paper: (48” or 36”wide rolls) for groups of 4 students per sheet
- 1, 36” long sheet of paper per student
- Multicolour Pastels: one box per group of 4
- pencils: enough for each student to have 2 each
- Yoga mats: one per student (15 available for use)
Chrissy Sie-Merritt / 204-918-5359 / email@example.com / chrissysiemerritt.com