On Monday, May 4th, thousands of Canadians will once again celebrate Music Monday. Produced by the Coalition for Music Education in Canada for the past 15 years, Music Monday 2020 is transforming into a 12-hour digital broadcast featuring Canadian music and musicians in communities from coast to coast to coast, allowing every Canadian to celebrate safely.
Beginning at 9AM EST, Music Monday @ Home will showcase the diversity, creativity and resilience of the nation and feature live performances, favourite memories, and special messages from prominent Canadians, ending with a virtual afterparty. Confirmed performers include:
- Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra, NL
- Tara MacLean & Catherine MacLellan, singer/songwriters, PEI
- Measha Brueggergosman, soprano, NB/NS
- Gabriel and Paul Campagne, folk artists, QC/SK
- Wen Zhao, pipa, ON
- Robi Botos, jazz piano, ON
- Teiya Kasahara (soprano) and Andrea Grant (piano), ON
- Those Guys Acapella, MB
- Karen Donnelly, trumpet, SK
- Calgary Philhamonic and Edmonton Symphony Orchestras, AB
- Walter Macdonald Whitebear, flute, drum, AB
- Leela Gilday, singer/songwriter, NT
- Iqualuit Music Society, NU
- Nicholas Wright, violin, BC
- Jon Kimura Parker, piano, BC
Programming from Quebec will be presented in French.
Additional programming aimed at younger children will be provided by Charlotte Diamond, Early Years programming from the VSO School of Music, and children’s performer Chris McKhool.