FUTURES/forward is calling for community-engaged artists to apply now!
FUTURES/forward is a national mentorship program designed to connect early-to-mid career community-engaged artists with seasoned community-engaged artist practitioners, foster peer to peer exchange with others doing change work with diverse communities, and bridge the urban/rural divide.
The FUTURES/forward program embeds community-engaged artists within organizations addressing the pressing environmental issues of our times. These artists (mentored by senior artist practitioners) might work to enrich existing programs; develop new approaches to include arts-infused initiatives; offer innovative communications strategies, provide inclusive and interactive educational programs; or enrich public engagement and advocacy.
Some quick facts:
- In this third intake of the program, the duration of each arrangement will be up to six months long, commencing in September 2020.
- Work in performance (dance, theatre, music), visual, literary and digital art forms are all welcome.
- In each partnership, the “hosting” environmental organization, mentor, and mentee create their own work plan to be approved by ICASC.
- Partnering environmental organizations may provide logistical assistance (e.g. space for workshops, outreach information, community networking assistance).
- Both the mentor and mentee receive compensation that will vary according to the length and content of their work plan.
- Maximum compensation, dependant on the length and content of each partnership, is $5000 per mentee and $2000 per mentor.
- The ICASC team provides contracts and supports the processes of each arrangement.
- A final report is required from all participants.
- Participants will have the opportunity to meet regularly online. As the first year of the program wraps up in late 2020, all participants will be expected to attend a national gathering to share our experiences and learning. As the COVID-19 situation persists, this gathering is very likely to take place online.
Apply to be a mentee or mentor now! Deadline is August 21, 2020.
For more details on the program and application process, please go to https://icasc.ca/futures-forward-call-for-applications/
FUTURES/forward is hosted by the International Centre of Art for Social Change (ICASC), the programming arm of Judith Marcuse Projects (JMP). JMP, a pioneer in the field of community-engaged art for social change (ASC), is celebrating a 40-years as an arts organization working in Canada and abroad.
We gratefully acknowledge the generous support FUTURES/forward receives from the McConnell Foundation.