As a charitable organization, you have specific funding needs. We support charities in the Edmonton area across many sectors, including:
- Human Services
- Arts & Culture
- Environment & Animal Welfare
- Sports & Recreation
The Community Grants program can support a wide range of organizational needs. We look to organizations to determine their priority areas. If you would like to discuss your organizational needs, start with a phone call to the Edmonton Community Foundation (ECF) to discuss the online application process and eligibility requirements.
Community Grants aim to support our community. A non-profit is eligible to apply if it serves the greater Edmonton area, including Leduc County, Parkland County, Strathcona County, and Sturgeon County. The non-profit must also have a charitable registration number from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or be considered a qualified donee.
If you are not a registered charity but wish to apply for funding, you can consider the following options:
- Make a formal application to CRA to become a registered charity.
- Establish a written partnership with a registered charity that would apply for funds for the proposed project. CRA recommends that the relationship between the registered charity and the non-charitable organization be formalized and documented. Click here to visit CRA’s website for more details. Note that the opportunity to apply with a charitable partner is not meant to allow groups to circumvent CRA rules, but rather to support genuine partnerships between charities and non-profits.
When to Submit
We encourage you to apply early! We have a continual intake of preliminary applications with quarterly deadlines depending on when funding is required. This allows us to review each on its own merit and respond promptly with questions and feedback. There are more opportunities to provide support for charities that apply early. This also gives you more time to write a strong proposal. We do not provide retroactive funding.
The annual deadlines to submit an online application are:
- March 1 for funding after June 1 (applications available December 2)
- June 1 for funding after September 1 (application available March 2)
- September 1 for funding after December 1 (application available June 2)
- December 1 for funding after March 1 (application available September 2)